Saturday, 18 March 2006
Yesterday after getting everyone from school we packed up the car and headed for old homestead in StL. My sisters was going to be home for the weekend to celebrate her birthday and with the upcoming week being Spring Break for the girls, GR and I both felt it was a great time to head to see the other grandparents. The kids haven't been to see my parents at their house since Thanksgiving, which seems unforgivable. The drive went beautifully - we only had to stop once at my favorite gas station (which let me down this time...
Today was filled with preparations for Suzanne's birthday celebrations. Daddy took Rebecca and Sam to the grocery store to purchase supplies for weekend meals and a birthday cake. Rebecca went around the store with her clipboard, paper and pen and wrote down all the different items Grandpa put into the shopping cart, and helped him purchase just the right kind of bagels. Emily, Mom and I went present shopping, I'd seen some clothes that I thought Suz would like... Mom and I purchased three skirts, a shirt, and blazer ... and .... Suz liked all of them! This is a definite first. Sadly we'll have to rely on her blog for a photo showing of the purchases.
Suz asked for a chocolate cake ... Mom and I didn't find exactly what we were looking for by way of a recipe, but the recipe we did use from an old Sothern Living cookbook was really, really yummy (I’ll include the recipe at the bottom)! The kids helped Grandpa decorate the breakfast room with balloons and a Barb inspired "Happy Birthday Suz" sign. And we went to Longhorn for dinner - double yum!
Here are pictures of the festivities:
Milk Chocolate Bar Cake
1 (18.25 oz.) pkg Swiss Chocolate cake mix
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 (1.5 oz.) milk chocolate candy bars with almonds*, divided
1 (12oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour batter into three greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans. Bake at 325°F for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture is creamy. Chop 8 candy bars (*we used plan chocolate bars) finely, Fold cream cheese mixture and chopped candy into whipped topping.
Spread icing between layers and on top and sides of cake. Chop remaning 2 candy bars. Sprinkle half on chopped candy bars over cake. Press reamining chopped candy along bottom edge of cake. Store in refridgerator.
*Everyone loved the cake, but we discovered we liked it a bit more the second day, once the chocolate bar pieces had a chance to soften a bit in the icing.
Thursday, April 06, 2006
Turning 20-something
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I protest! Where is the picture of the candles reflected in the window?
I'm surprised you know about that tradition...
Looks like lots of fun!
With a little substitution I can even try the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
What I loved about the cake recipe is that it didn't plow you over with sweetness and there was PLENTY of frosting. We were able to put a good amount of frosting between the layers and all over the cake - something I'm not use to when making a three layer cake.
yay for me!!! i still have my carebear hat.
Post a Comment