Monday, April 24, 2006

"Easy to Sew"

Thursday, 24 March 2006

One of the projects I took with me while at my parents was a dress pattern I wanted to test out for perspective Easter dresses. Mom has about 10 yards of a blue floral from 15+ years ago that we'd like to turn into dresses for all the granddaughters - if we can find just the right pattern and coordinating "do-da's" as we like to call them to update the fabric and minimize the homemade look.

It was supposedly "Easy to Sew" ... I don't think so ... To me "Easy to Sew" should also mean "goes together quickly" and this didn't go together quickly. I admit it's a relatively simple pattern, but you end up sewing the collar and sleeves into the dress three times, after doing all the basting, stitching and top stitching it calls for. I did a little bit of it Sunday night before realizing I'd forgotten to cut out half the collar (the underside). Having brought none of the scraps with me, Emily and I made a trip to the fabric store Mom and I have been going to for nearly 22 years, and found a subtle bright yellow to use as a coordinating contrast fabric on the underside of the collar and then as a peek out from the hem. Despite the trauma and frequent trips to the fabric shop because I was missing this, or forgot about that, the end result is really cute and will more than likely work for the Easter Dresses we envision, as well as a few other dresses for this summer.

Here's a picture of the pattern cover, and Emily in my version (picture taken 4-23-06).



3 comments:

Heather said...

WOW! Really cute K8! I bought an "easy sew" pattern today, I hope mine doesn't end up being as complicated as your sounds!

Matthew said...

That did turn out nicely. Sewing is one of those mysteries of the universe to me.

suz said...

adorable....i only wish i was so skilled.