Friday, February 24, 2006

Cookie Moster meets Baby Jay


Back in November I started shopping for flannel to make Annalise's baby blankets. At a local quilt shop I saw the cutest blanket for a baby - they used a fun fuzzy fleece with a deep nap on one side, flannel on the other, a bias tape trim along the outer edge and tied every 5-6" with a pearl cotton thread to keep the layers from slipping. When I saw this I knew one of the 10 babies born between January and March would get this blanket. It was so soft and bigger than my usual blanket (Mom - it's about the size of your blankets - finished 40-41" square) - perfect for a new sibbling.

When I told my friend Kelly (who just had baby #3) about this blanket and she said it was exactly what she needed for her new little one. She picked out the flannel and I went in search of the plush fleece... three fabric stores later I found the blue long haired material, and at the fourth I found the perfect red for the bias trim.

I finished it on Saturday while GR was working and got it delivered to the new baby this week. I'm really pleased with the end result. It is soft, functional (not too big, not too small), and fun to touch. Since this is the first one I've made, I'm interested in seeing how this blanket holds up to washings, dragging, tugging - typical baby and toddler use. Considering how the standard ‘Kathleen flannel baby blanket’ has evolved over the last 9 years, I'm sure there are areas of this blanket that could be improved upon. We'll just have to wait and see what they are. For Kelly's sake I hope there aren't a lot!

No comments: