Monday, January 30, 2006

Rush to Judgement

Friday, 27 January 2006

Today we walked Rebecca to school again, and as I got to the school grounds, a parent stopped me and told me our favorite neighborhood crossing guard, who we have come to adore, has been instructed by the city to no longer wave at drivers going past her post.

Since the fall, "Ms. Crossing Guard," as our children fondly referr to her, has waved at each car driving past her post. I will admit that at first I thought it a little odd, but over time we not only came to love this jesture, but I came to see it as a safety measure. She is aware of each and every child, car and driver in her surroundings, and the drivers are aware of her.

Turns out one of our neighbors, who doesn't not have elementary school aged children, feels otherwise. He feels it's too distracting to drivers to have a crossing guard waving at them. Because of his one complaint, she has been insturcted that it would be better if she didn't wave anymore.

Parents and children were outraged, and a ralley was held at 2:30 in support of the wave! The local newstation was there, as well as the paper. Sam and I went in support - with our little orange crossing guard hands, waving to all who drove past. No word yet on the outcome of our ralley... we'll have to wait and see what happens Monday after school.



4 comments:

Matthew said...

Good for you! Sounds like an excellent cause. I hope the silly rule is rescinded.

suz said...

jeez, one bad egg can rot the whole barrel...i hate people like that.

Mary Ann said...

Suz, are you deliberately quoting Ballroom?

I can't wait to see what happens with this.

Mary Ann said...

Any news about this?