Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hot Dogs in Honey BBQ Sauce with Honeydew

The kids had a class field trip to the local H____ grocery store. From what I gathered from the teachers conversations in the hallways, who had just taken the morning classes there... they had expected a 20 minute tour. What they got was an amazing 20 minute, very task oriented, kid friendly tour, and a snack - whole apple, slice of American cheese, sugar cookie and glass of water - in the stores dining room, which took an additional 20 minutes. The tour was excellent and the teachers loved it, they just weren't prepared ...

The field trip took up most of their 2-1/2 hour classroom block of time. The classes had arranged for a child to bring the snack, which is a really big deal for most of these kids - they love to be responsible for that. And for the morning kids after a slice of cheese, an apple and a cookie, they weren't all that interested in eating a classroom snack.

So when I walked in with Emily's snack, Hot dogs in honey BBQ sauce (steaming hot in a sauce pan ready to transfer into a mini-crockpot) with honeydew melon and heard all this, I stuck it all in the school fridge, and was prepared for it to be our dinner.

Oh no, this time around, the teachers gave the kids a slice of cheese at the store and asked for the cookies and apples to get boxed up so they could be either eaten in the classroom or sent home in totebags. I microwaved the hot dogs to take the edge off the chill, and they and the honeydew were served along with the cookies.

They ate all but a handful of hot dog bites (I cut up 15 hot dogs and they had 15 kids attend) and a most all of the honeydew melon (and I cut up the whole melon for them). Mrs. S commented to me at the end, that the kids LOVED it, "None of them may be hungry for dinner, but they loved it!" and kept asking for more. So it was a great success.

Thanks to everyone who helped brainstorm Hh foods.

5 comments:

joe said...

You have family in Beirut, and didn't serve Hummus??

When I was in 2nd grade an Indian girl brought cabbage curry for a food day. I loved it. Last year Priya's mom tried to teach me how to make it, but I never could get the hang of it.

Kate said...

I actually did think of hummus, but GR vetoed it instantly! But funny you should mention the family ties along with snack day.

When you're the snack person, you get to bring something for show and tell, and Emily choose her scarf from Lebanon. I also sent her a map of the world with Lebanon and Kansas marked on them and pictures of her family that lives there so she could show her classmates. I doubt that actually happend...

Her scarf doesn't make as distinctive a sound as it did brand new 5 months ago. 1/4 of the coins and beads are left on it... it's been very well loved!

A friend might be going to Beirut in Dec. on land mine marking/maping business, so I may need talk him in to bringing back a couple or replacements for us.

Mary Ann said...

Oooh I know where some land mines are!

What kind of business is that?

Can we send family christmas prsents back with your friend too?

Kate said...

He isn't sure if he's going or not. I beged to go in his suitcase... he's got M&Ms phone number and will let me know if he's going. At the birthday party he said that if he goes, it would be the first part of December. He's our former Bishop from when GR and I were first married... and he works for the University in the Geography department. I'll ask him, if he goes, if he'd be willing to be a pack mule for us, if we kept it to a small well packed box, he'd probably be willing to ferry things across the ocean for us.

BabyoverBroadway said...

i blame GR