Friday, October 28, 2005

A wild discovery

School is out and the sun is shining to the kids have been outside playing for the last 4 hours. I've given up on Sam taking a nap. 20 minutes ago I heard the 5 girls on the street shrieking, and went to tell them that wasn't necessary unless there was blood.

They had discovered a snake in the grass and some felt that was the appropriate way to respond. Gotta love it.

Anyway we all stood around this little baby snake ~12-14 inches long go through the grass and then climb the neighbors oak tree. According to the local 7 year-old, it's a corn snake and venomous. From the Google search I've done, it might be a baby corn snake - didn't find many pictures - and they aren't venomous... they strangle or constrict their prey.

Anyway, after two attempts, the snake made it up into the tree where I snapped a few pictures. The kids found it fascinating to watch this legless creature climb a tree - it really was an amazing thing to watch.


2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Oh my goodness! If someone had asked me if snakes could climb trees I would have said "only in Renaissance art". How did the snake do it? Did it coil around the trunk? Why would a snake clime a tree anyway?

My gut reaction is to just say ewwww again and again.

Kate said...

Agreed, but he was so little and the kids could not take their eyes off him for nearly an hour - it was crazy!

He was about as big around as your thumb, and slithered up the tree like he slithered through the grass. The only thing he needed to be careful of was not to raise his head to high off the tree, other wise he lost his balance and fell... that only happened once.

IF this really is a corn snake, as a hatchling it eats small lizards and tree frogs. So I think that's why he climbed the tree.

It never occurred to me that I should be concerned about snakes falling from trees, coming across one in the grass, yes, the trees, no.

I wonder if the pecan grove has had that problem before - snakes falling from the trees... that'll be a question to ask the next time I'm there.