Wednesday night we had stake auxilary training for our stake and the Salina stake. Sisters from the General RS, YW and Primary boards came and provided amazing training! Our Stake President asked the stake RS presidency to coordinate rides. Since I have the largest car in our area, I offered to drive the four other sisters to Manhattan. 45 minutes into the drive, a noticed a police car behind me. Very slowly my brain began to process that it was June 2... and my car tags had expired on May 31st... we had offered a word of prayer before we left the church parking lot, but I decided it might be best to offer some more.
Four or five years ago, while driving the Saturn, I was pulled over for expired tags. We had moved from the apartment to the townhouse and had never gotten the paper work to renew the tags because of the address change. I had been driving the Saturn for atleast six months with expired tags. The police officer issued me a ticket, and I promised to get the tags renewed the following morning on my way to work.
The next morning, I dropped Rebecca off at daycare and proceeded directly to the registration office. On my way, I was polled over again, and issued a second ticket. I showed the officer the ticket from not 12 hours earlier, and explained that the registration office hadn't even been open since being issued the first ticket. He said the law didn't care.
Thankfully none of the cops we saw Wednesday night felt the desire to pull me over, and GR took care of the tags this morning!
As an additional side note, if you aren't able to get your tags renewed in a timely fashion, make sure the car is parked on private property, and not on public property. GR's car was ticketed one year for expired tags on June 1, while parked on the street.
4 comments:
cops are just a bowl full of giggles, arent they? i was once pulled over on the highway going back home because i was swerving a little as i passed the cop, and he thought i was trying to hit him (it was a windy day, and the gusts of wind were pushing my car around...honestly). all i did was apologize profusely and he let me go. it was 5 days till christmas, so maybe he was feeling like spreading some cheer.
also, parley drove around columbia for 2 years with expired tags and never got pulled over. luck of the draw, i guess.
Some people have all the luck...
is there a Manhattan in Kansas that you were going to?
I've done the math, and there is no way you made it to the one in New York and back in that amount of time. . .
:) Yes, it is the home of Kansas State University, and as most towns in Kansas are, in the middle of no where ... west of the captial and east of Salina.
Post a Comment