The kids and I had hoped to get up to see Diane yesterday afternoon, but with watching a friends little girl until 11, lunchtime, naptime and getting pictures printed for a "We love you Grandma" poster, we simply ran out of time.
So this morning we got all our little treasures collected to take with us... our picture poster, small photo album with extra poster pictures, homemade cookies the girls made, art work from all three, emails and little things for her to read... we made it there a little after 10:30. We stayed for about 30 minutes and had a really nice visit with her. She was quilting when we got there, and had a great time listening to the kids tell her about all the pictures, artwork and adventures we’d had while she’s been in the hospital.
Her hospital is having a lot of remodeling work done; “Please Pardon our Progress” signs are everywhere! To help get everyone from place to place, they have color coded lines from the entrance leading to the four main places you’d want to go – the kids had a blast following those lines… you couldn’t get them off of the lines – and there were a few adults that didn’t want to give up their spot on the lines either! (Hello! Yield to children!) And then there was my Sam, who didn’t quite get the following the lines concept. I had to keep redirecting him – I don’t think he ever walked in a straight line all the way up to Diane’s room.
After our visit, I promised the girls we’d make a treat. Diane had given them an individual box of Rice Krispies leftover from her breakfast that I suggested we use to make Rice Krispie treats. Each girl got an ingredient to be in charge of. Rebecca was responsible for unwrapping the butter and putting it in the saucepan, Emily, the marshmallows, and I, the cereal.
I didn’t realize until after the butter was melted and the marshmallows were in the pan melting, that I had used an entire stick of butter… twice what I needed for one bag of marshmallows and 6 cups of cereal. Luckily I had another bag of marshmallows and exactly enough cereal to make a double batch. I’m confident we can keep them from going to waste.
4 comments:
Ok, this is totally irrelevant to your post, but here's what happened to me the other day.
I was making pinapple upside down cake, and I doubled the recipe for the batter because I was using a much bigger pan than normal. Even though I measured everything exactly and doubled everything it was totally dry! Cake batter ought to pour, not stick together like cookie dough! I had to add 3/4 cup of water to get it the right consistency.
Does anyone know why that happened?
Oh, and I used a real pinapple for the cake and it was fantastic. It was the pinapple mom and dad bought while they were here.
Ah, food going to waste, the bane of the W. family. ;)
How did you measure the flour, Mary Ann? Flour tends to settle after sitting for awhile, so you should stir it with a whisk before measuring. You should dip your cup into the flour, and sweep the excess off the top - never pack it into the cup. If you can find a baking scale, it is best to weigh the flour.
And, the moisture content of flour can vary. The best cooks do exactly what you did - eyeball it and compensate.
there are some recipies that just dont double. i'm not sure why this is, but that's one of the only thing i remember from home ec.
Post a Comment