I had my third and final speaking assignment today at a rural branch conference - 1.5 hours away, meaning we had to pull out of town at 7am - wow is that early!
I think it went well... I broke tradition and typed it all out word for word, and consequently I pretty much read it word for word. Not my preferred method, but I wanted to make sure I kept to my 15 minutes and left enough time for the others on the program. As it stands I probably could have taken up another 5 minutes ... Oh well, I don't have that assignment again until October.
Because of time, I cut out all my discussion questions. I think when I do it again, I will turn it into more of a discussion where I pull the audience into the topic and allow them to teach one another. It's more engaging and in some ways more thought provoking because there is more pondering time, instead of having someone fling a bunch of thoughts at you.
3 comments:
Can you be prepared for both? Sometimes groups don't open up to discussion--so be prepared to "fling ideas." But when they want to be heard and take part, switch gears and invite them to speak up. :)MSW
It's five AM here. Our usual alarm-inforced wake up time is six. If that fails, Stella has us up around seven every day of her life. So it's a bit odd to hear that seven is early, since for us, it would be the latest possible option.
Since I went to bed at 2am, getting up at 6 was early... normallly I don't wake up until 7:30 or so when Sam wakes up. The girls usually get up earlier (anytime between 6 and 8), but they go down and watch Disney or PBS for an hour or so until Sam and I get up.
Post a Comment