Thursday, May 26, 2005

Fresh air

This morning after Rebecca (with my supervision from the other room) nearly burned down the house making a bowl of oatmeal in the microwave, we opened up all the windows, turned on a bunch of fans and left the house to allow the smoke and smell to clear.

Our little playgroup was scheduled to go to a children’s farm in KC, but I wasn’t sure when, so we simply left after the burned oatmeal incident.

The farm was packed. I think a number of local schools/preschools were using it as a last fieldtrip location, because I have never seen that many people there at one time before.

This is a really neat little place. I thought you might enjoy a pictoral explination of the facilities rather than long commentary.

Lots of farm animals you can touch and feed (and others are just for looking at):

Playground equipment to play on… slides, sand pits, climbing stuff, etc.:

Tractors and other farm equipment to climb around and interact with:

Sam can spot tractors anywhere now - he saw this one from the slides and insisted on going to sit on it. He loves tractors and airplanes right now.

And beautiful gardens and landscaping!

We are definitely planning multiple trips back this summer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the burned oatmeal. I did something similar, but with rice, and it was when I lived in one of those huge apartment buildings at BYU, and it stank up every apartment in the building (there was a single ventilation unit for the whole building).

Your kids are so much bigger than they are on the DVD you sent us last fall.

Stella watches it all the time. She knows "Twinkle Twinkle" as "Emily's song" and it is the only video that she will watch from start to finish. Anyway, the video fails to update itself with pictures of how the kids look now, so thanks or the pics.

Anonymous said...

One more thing. . .
Stella loves airplanes too. She says it "ah-play-lay".

Maybe Sam talks better than she does.

Matthew said...

Looks like fun! I hope there was some video involved.

joe said...

That's a great action shot of Emily running. She looks like a superhero with those glasses on.

It seems like every other day at Citi somebody burns popcorn in the microwave. There isn't any escaping the stench. It is just horrible.

Kate said...

Mary Ann, I need to get our camera fixed so I can send you sound clips of how Sam "talks." Sam has a word for airplane, but I'm not sure I could even come close to typing it phonetically.

There must be something about microwaves that makes everything burnt smell the same. Days/weeks after the event, the microwave still has that distinctive smell when it's used for more than 1 minute.

Joe the funny thing about getting Emily's action/superhero shot... I told her to wait a minute so I could take her picture, but she kept running past me on this 15-20 foot span on the playground (half of it was a bridge - that's what she's running towards in the picture). She didn't want her picture taken standing still, she wanted a picture of her running - it was so funny! She must have ran past me 5 or 6 times before I was able to get the camera to finally take the picture.