Okay back in April, I posted my current obsessions, and I thought I would give a little update to on my progress.
Obsession 1: Scrapbooking
I haven't made much progress in this area. Although I recently attended a party hosted by my neighbor for a company called "Once Upon a Family". I really like their products. The products are a way of documenting and capturing the simple pleasures of childhood and family life. And in a future post I'll write more about some of their ideas and how I'm implementing them in my own way.
Obsession 2: Sewing for the girls
If you look back at this original post, you’ll notice that the yellow fabric is what I used for Rebecca's birthday dress. So there's one piece of fabric out of my stack. I also finished the capris my Mom had started for Rebecca/Emily and they look adorable – the pattern is definitely a keeper. I'm hoping to make a dress for Emily soon. A friends little girl wore a dress to church a few weeks ago where pom-poms had been used as a cute detail around the bottom of the dress ~4 inches from the hem. I really want to replicate this detail in a dress for Emily.
Obsession 3: Quilting
Bite #1 – the bright baby quilt I started over spring break is totally finished is actually being used by its new owner - Mary Ann’s new baby girl! I’m pleased with how it turned out. Except for one row of quilting, I did the entire thing myself and although it’s a little rough in spots, I’m pleased with its overall look.
Bite #2 – Flag wall hanging – I’ve finished the top, but I’m waiting for batting to go on sale at the local hobby shop before I start the quilting. I’m going to try and quilt this one myself. I’m not going to do anything complicated. They suggested wavy lines in the red and white stripes and then outlining the stars, which sounded like something I could easily do.
Bite #3 – Lost Ship – I’ve located a pattern, I think Diane is the one who found it for me in one of her quilting magazines. So when I’ve got some free time, I can start cutting pieces for this projec!
Bite #4 – Sentimental Journey – I have now collected enough fabric from this line to make what ever I want. Now I need to pick the right pattern and doing something with it.
4 comments:
The blanket is great, thanks very much.
Yup, love the blanket. I still can't figure out how you did it. . . the colors are balanced but I can't find a pattern to them. Remarkable. It looks even better in real life.
It's 'random,' but I'm very much like Diane in that I don't/can't do random (put everything in a brown paper bag and sew it together the way it comes out of the bag - can't do that what if you have to sew a blue to a blue?). So I paired each fabric up with itself (except the greens w/greens and yellows w/yellows, etc.) then sewed the pairs together to create four patches. I laid all the 4 patches out on the dining room table so I could insure even distribution, etc... it lasted for a couple of days until Sam pulled the table cloth - and the quilt - onto the floor. It took me at a while to pick the project back up again and I never was able to get it back the way I had origionally put it.
Mary Ann mentioned to me how impressed she was that you got all the squares put together so evenly--like a "+"--with so little staggering. So in addition to being fun and pretty, there were technical aspects to admire.
--Grandpa Art
Post a Comment