This afternoon Rebecca’s class had a field trip to the Natural History Museum on campus. I’d heard it was a “kid friendly” place, but I’d never taken the chance to find out. I am definitely going back this summer with the kids!
We saw all kinds of animals – mostly stuffed. And each floor of the museum has a different theme. The main floor has a panorama of the four seasons with different plants and animals you would find – along with two brown bears. Rebecca took my picture with the smaller of the two bears (see below).
In the basement they have dinosaur bones. We had to sit on the top step, looking at dinosaur bones, and talking about how bones don’t work with out muscles and blood and skin, for few minutes before Rebecca was interested in going down and looking at dinosaur bones. In addition to dinosaur bones, they had bison and mammoth bones.
Upstairs they had displays of prairie animals, birds, and snakes (a few of the snakes were alive!). We had a great time talking about the different animals, their characteristics and the different varieties of animals like rabbits and owls. Rebecca took all the pictures - until the batteries ran down - so we don’t have many pictures, but the ones we have are pretty good huh! (Mom, the squirrel picture is for you!)
They have a bug exhibit that we didn’t find, and everyone I’ve talked to says we must see the bug exhibit. A friend said it is totally oriented towards kids. So I’m hoping to take a morning trip once schools out to find the bugs.
Unlike so many museums, this isn’t one where you have to whisper! Perfect for my three!
No comments:
Post a Comment