This is the summer when we must … and I mean must paint our house. We’ve had three different contractors come out to bid on the job and there’s quite a bit of disparity out there… in a nut shell here’s what we’ve learned. We have a huge house when it comes to painting, because two of the four sides of the house are three stories. This house hasn’t been painted since it was built in 1996 and when they painted it, they didn’t paint very well (sadly this does not come to us as a surprise). Cedar trim boards should be primed, then painted and hung. Ours were simply hug and painted, so we have an issue with boards and siding needing to be replaced because of dry rot. Benjamin Moore Paint seems to be the paint of choice. A good paint job should last 9-10 years.
The third guy came today and here’s how they all faired… today’s guy was $2,000 less than Friday’s bid, $1,000 less than Monday’s bid and $2,000 more what we initially thought was a high estimate. I almost laughed out loud when I got Friday’s bid… now I’m not laughing quite as hard.
1 comment:
My mother exploited us as sweatshop labor to paint our house. We did a horrible job. In fact, there was one spot on the back where the ladder couldn't reach and it stayed bare for years.
Post a Comment