Although I'd driven past signs for the farm and market for years, and wanted to visit, I'd never stopped to see what it was all about. They have beautiful flowers, pick your own asparagus and spinach, and later in the year a couple of other pick your own crops. The people running it were wonderful and very accommodating to seven kids and three adults descending on their 6-8 rows of asparagus.
We took a tracker ride out to the asparagus and he gave us a quick lesson in how to pick it. In total we picked 2.9 lbs of asparagus in about 20 minutes. I only picked a couple of spears the rest was done by the kids. Sam really liked snapping the asparagus. If he didn't get the entire plant in one snap (and he never really did) then he'd keep snapping it until he got the stock to the ground (note the partial stock in his hand).
When I emptied our bag of asparagus I found quite a few headless spears. We were able to make four good size bunches to share with family and friends... and us of course.
Camie and I are going to start looking for other places to 'pick your own' produce. In June I'm hoping to get back out to the strawberry patch south of our house and pick strawberries again for Jam. Not that we've finished off the pints I made 2 years ago, but I wouldn't mind a second crack at making it.
3 comments:
I just noticed "peak of the season" asparagus at Schnucks, and wondered, who buys this stuff?
Do your kids eat asparagus?
Are you kidding! It wasn't until last week that Rebecca finally tired and decided thankfully that she liked strawberrys and peaches!! So no, my kids don't eat asparagus, and neither does GR... but I do, so I kept a very small bunch just for me.
It's pretty tasty stuff when cooked properly. I like it to still be crisp, many people over cook it - limp mush. It's even yummy raw...
$1.75/lb - pick your own, can you beat that?
Asparagus was a huge thing in the are of Germany where we lived. There were lots of tasty recipes for it. Do they sell white asparagus in Kansas?
Post a Comment