Thursday, April 07, 2005

My Current Obsessions

Normally when I get bitten by an obsession bug, I only get one bite and for the most part it stays for a good 3-6 months so I’m able to see the obsession through to the end. But as of late, they've all bitten at the same time. Let me explain... The sewing, quilting and scrapbooking bugs have all bitten, and in the sewing and quilting area, they have bitten multiple times.

Obsession number 1: scrapbooking
I’m itching to do more, but haven't had time to edit and print the pictures.

Obsession number 2: sewing
I have a number of excessively cute patterns with equally cute fabric that I want to make up for the girls... I have capris and dresses I want to make for them. I have resisted the temptation (until Tuesday) to purchase any additional fabric for kid clothes... I have entirely too much as it is, but Tuesday I was tempted beyond my control to purchase some way cute red and yellow fabrics...


Obsession number 3: the quilting bug bites.
Bite #1: Over spring break I finally cut into a pack of fat 1/8's that I'm sure I purchased before Rebecca was born for a baby quilt using very bright fabrics. All the squares are cut and sewn into pairs, now I'm sewing the pairs into 4-patches and then I'll sew those into rows. It should be a very cute baby quilt, if I can stay focused enough to finish it.

Bite #2: I teach a quilting class/head up a quilting group at church. It's kind of an odd little group. This was in answer to a number of people who wanted to take Diane's quilting class a year or more ago, but couldn’t' attend Wednesday. So I started a Saturday AM group, echoing the things Diane was teaching. The only catch, I wasn't going to make the things I taught... I did a few times to illustrate techniques, show color choices, etc. ... but for the most part I simply taught them the patterns. The problem I'm seeing is I've created a rather complacent group of women, who aren't as committed to completing the monthly assignments as Diane's group.


At the beginning of the year, they requested that we make a flag wall hanging Diane has displayed in her entryway. I've had pattern and fabric to make this for years, and decided to bite the bullet and make it along with my group, even though I didn't really have the time to do it. I started with a very enthusiastic group of four, and somehow, it's gotten to be just me and one other. I'm almost done with this this months assignment and we meet again Saturday.

Bite #3: Barbara Brackman's 2005 class theme is the Underground Railroad. She teaches a quarterly class on history, period fabrics and quilts that is fascinating. At each class you listen to a discussion/lecture and get new patterns for blocks in a quilt she has made depicting different aspects of the Underground Railroad. I have no intention of making all the blocks this time around. But she showed us an entire quilt made with one block - Lost Ship - and now I have to make my own using reds and creamy whites. I think I've found all my fabrics. Now I need to finish my other projects, and not start any new ones, so I can make up this one.


Bite #4: Last Saturday morning before Conference, Emily and I went to the quilt shop downtown to look for some “Lost Ship” obsession fabric.She had a grand time playing in their playroom, so much so that I had way more time than I’d expected to look. With my extra time, I looked through a basket of “quilters candy,”6.5” squares of random fabric that are 8/$1. I found 16 squares from a fabric line called “Sentimental Journey” and this fabric is my latest obsession. I’m now on the hunt to find more of this fabric… I found some at Hobby Lobby, and some on eBay.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

This is just one of those things I will never understand. =)

Anonymous said...

Growing up with a quilter - this is just part of life. I was a college freshman when I figured out that not everyone slept under a blanket/quilt that their mother made for them. Sadly, I know more about quilting than most women I think. Oh well, such is my life. The scrapbooking, on the other hand, is just silliness. -GR