My firend Lori (works with me on Mormonchic.com) sent me last night a reader's email and her response... I decided I simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to share it:
*******
Subject: Question about last names
Sender: Inquiring Traditional Male
Message: I suppose this question is more for Kathleen Gordon-Ross, or anyone who could help me out. I am wondering if you could help me know the proper etiquette for addressing someone with a combined maiden name and your husband's last name. First off, I don't want to come off arrogantly, I honestly have wondered about this for some time and haven't known who to ask. I'm not even sure what it is called when a new wife chooses to keep both, does it have a specific name?
So, how do you like to be addressed? Sister Gordon-Ross? How should I address you when you are with your husband? Brother and Sister Ross, or Brother Ross and Sister Gordon-Ross? When your friends put your name in their address book, does it go under ³G² or ³R?² Can your children choose to go by the last name of Ross or Gordon-Ross?
I can understand a woman¹s desire to keep her previous identity, but also, if you wouldn¹t mind, could you share some of the reasons you chose to maintain your maiden name? How has your husband responded?
I apologize for the ignorance. Thank you.
*******
*******
Mormonchic.com's response: Actually, we don't know the answer to your question.
Kathleen's last name "Gordon-Ross" isn't a combination of her maiden name and married name. "Gordon-Ross" is actually her husband's family name. From my understanding, the family is unsure of how the hyphenated name came about, but it is in fact one last name.
I'm afraid your question goes unanswered.
*******
This provided a great belly laugh for us over here.
FYI - Thanks to a member of our ward who is amazing at Family History, we now know a little bit more about why the last name was hyponated... I'll have to share that on another post.
4 comments:
And try explaining why your husband goes by GR. I think he just likes to confuse us.
And try explaining to someone that your maiden name was hyphenated.
E: I need to update my info for your file; I just got married.
Secretary: (Looking at file) It's already taken care of.
E: No, it isn't.
S: Yes, it is.
E: No, it isn't.
S: Yes, it is.
E: Ok, smarty-pants, then tell me what my married name is.
Elspeth (Gordon-Ross) Grindstaff
Ah sis - that's one of the funniest things I have ever read. -GR
I didn't actually change my last name until Matthew and I had been married almost a year. . . it just didn't matter to me.
I wonder why this fellow was so worried about it. He can just ask the people in question how they prefer to be addressed. I'm not aware of any rule, but I bet emily post is. . .
Post a Comment