Monday, April 04, 2005

2 Girls 18 Boys

Last month we got a brochure from a local recreational center advertising a basketball class for pre-kindergarten aged kids. GR took Rebecca to 'Sport-2-Sport' to sign her up, which was probably a good idea...

True to her bubbly personality, she talked non-stop. She told the gal at Sport-2-Sport that she watched them play basketball with her dad on TV all the time (she thought it was Allen Field house, where the Jayhawks play)... and that she was going to go home and practice for the big game.

Today she had her second class/practice. Bob takes her and gives us a full report when he brings her home.

Last weeks report: She's the only girl - there are at least 20 kids in the workshop. And she needed to work on dribbling.

GR and I decided that we'd offer to help Rebecca learn to dribble, but we weren't going to make an issue out of it. When she was ready, we'd be available to teach her, otherwise she'd learn with time and practice... she is only 4 (okay, nearly 5).

This weeks report: She's better at dribbling (I don't know how since she didn't practice that much over the last week) but now she needs to work on shooting the basketball. Apparently they tried numerous times to help her shoot the basketball and she managed to make them all go straight into the air most of the time. Bob did say that she made one basket - pretty amazing! Oh, and this week there's one more girl in the class.

I can't believe there are only 2 little girls in this class. Soccer must be a more popular little girl sport.

The pictures below are first of the kids dribbling, and then below that, Rebecca being taught how to shoot the basketball. I love the stance of the little boy behind her.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for all of you--I think it is great that you encourage her to participate in sports, that the community center sponsers co-ed lessons and that Rebecca wants to do it. All admirable.

joe said...

Mom and Dad signed me up for T-ball in kindergarten, but I chickened out. I've always wished I had stayed with it. I totaly respect Becca for what she's doing.