Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overheard in the car after school

Child: Dad, you didn't have to go to work today?
GR: Nope.
Child: You get to choose when you go to work?
GR: No. I don't have a job right now.
Alex: You got FIRED!
GR: No. I quit.
Sam: You don't have a job?
GR: I do, but I start on Monday.
Child: Where?
GR: I'm going to work from home.
Em: But that doesn't pay anything.

Back story, although the point of sharing the above is Emily's comment - clearly I've succeeded in teaching my children that I work even though I stay home, but... the back story of the rest of the conversation. For a sometime now GR's been looking for a different job. He's interviewed all over the country, and at all but one location, gotten a job offer. In most cases the jobs were a perfect fit for his skill set and career goals, but every time we've prayed about whether to accept the offer or not, we've gotten the answer, no. A few weeks ago GR made contact with a former co-worker who had a job opening she wanted him to apply for, and it had the potential of being a remote position that he could do from home. Long story short, he interviewed, it went well, he was offered the job and he starts next week.

We are really excited to have him around more, even if he's in another room working. He will continue to do hospital pharmacy IT, it's just for a hospital out of state. He will work from home, out of our bedroom of all locations, and will occasionally travel to work on-site, meet with doctors and assist with conversions. And for now we're sticking around here. We are hopeful that this first year we'll be able prove that this arrangement is good for their business as well as for us.

No comments: