Last night was the 3rd Grade Musical. They did sang about a dozen movie tunes, and once again did a fantastic job. This performance was fantastic because of how well the kids sang the songs, and because of the sheer number of songs they sang.
Before we got his speaking assignment we talked about the different characters he could dress up. The one he and I liked the most was Michael from Mary Popins ... simple and straight from wardrobe, and not likely to be done by many other kids -- which proved to be true - Adam's Family was by far the favorite!
But when we got his speaking assignment and realized he would be helping to introduce Shrek, it only made sense to try and dress him up like Shrek. I made the ears/horns using felt - they are about an inch too long - and attached them to a felt sleeve that went over one of the girls thin headbads. The vest was made using these instructions. It would have fit better if I taken one more measurement ... across the lower shoulder blade, around under his arms. I needed an extra inch or so under his arms to help the vest fit better.
He wanted nothing ... nothing to do with this costume. In the end he left the ear/horns down in the audience. I tried to tell him that the ears were what made the costume ... were what told everyone who he was. He realized that after the performance and the next day apologized for not wearing them.
We "celebrated" by going out for pizza. That's the other thing I've learned after years of music programs. I can typically help get kids ready and/or in costumes and out the door on time OR feed them and get them out the door on time, not all three. Hiring out dinner the night of the program ... we'll be doing that again.
Here's their "I'm a Believer Performance":

No comments:
Post a Comment