Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Happy Birthday Alexander!

This cute sweet boy turns five today. F.I.V.E!


To celebrate we went to an exhibit of LEGO sculptures by the artist Nathan Sawaya.  So many amazing structures!  The museum had a children's hands-on art room set up in the basement.  They had thousands of LEGOs set out on tables for kids to create their own sculptures.  We spent ages in there, building and building with the available LEGOs, then went to Stake-n-Shake for lunch. 






I made Angry Bird's cupcakes.  At first he wanted an Angry Bird's cake like his friend Andrew, but since fondant is not something I'm familiar with, I went a different route.  I'm really pleased with how well they turned out, and Alexander was very gracious to love them too.  The rope black licorice was really hard to find.  And absolutely makes or breaks the cupcakes.  Without the licorice, they look like Sesame Street characters.  Thankfully, Diane was able to find some for me at our favorite candy shop. 


The candles are held up with playdough. 

Hard to believe this boy will be heading off to Kindergarten in a few short weeks.  That is going to be so different for all of us.  He's terribly excited and while I'm looking forward to it, Anna and I are going to miss him at home.   

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I love seeing that happiness on his face =)

I wish legos weren't so expensive. Such a fun toy, but I have a hard time shaking the feeling that the actual production and corporate costs are waaaay less than what ends up on the price tag.