Monday, January 24, 2011

And the Winner is ...


Saturday evening, we had our annual chili cook-off at church.  This year everyone wanted to enter the contest.  Rebecca and Emily looked through chili recipes with Grandma and Grandpa Wednesday afternoon and brought 5 or 6 they were considering.  They each choose a recipe to make Saturday morning, and with a little help from Dad, made their chilies on their own.  Sam and I made cornbread muffins and I also made Baby Ruth Bars.  We were totally surprised when the votes were counted and Rebecca and Sam both won!!  Rebecca won first place for her spicy chili and Sam, for cornbread!!   


This continues to be a favorite ward activity and since we weren't up against a basketball game, we had amazing participation ... 19 pots of chili were entered!!  And from what I hear from the judges, they were all really good.  No wonder the counts were close in each of the categories.  
 

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Is that a flying pig? Please tell me more about the categories.

Kate said...

The Trophies were fantastic! The flying pig was for the "unique" chili category. Next to that is a black pot, for "mild" chili. To her right is the best dessert category. All the chili was voted on by the 5 judges, but the dessert and cornbread were voted on by the crowd.

Matthew said...

I'm so happy for them! What a fun activity.

Sara Jensen said...

So cool! congratulations to the cooks!