Monday, May 17, 2010

The New Resident

It seams my friends, that we have a new house guest. Meet Oscar, he lives under our deck and we are pretty sure he is a groundhog.


Oscar comes out when the yard is quiet ... he drinks from the little creek that goes around the deck, he eats grass and weeds from the yard, and then of course he poops in places I'd rather he not poop. But it's
super fun to watch him stand up on his hind legs and look around the yard ... so far that's making up for the poop in the flower beds and planters.

When I asked GR, what my chances were for potty training a groundhog, he wasn't too encouraging, and offered to have someone trap it. I'm not there, yet. So far, it seems "he" is following the house rules and as long as he follows the rules ... don't damage the property, play nicely, don't poop around the house (he has a grace period, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give him the same period of time we've given Alexander ... a year's a long time), etc., he can stay, otherwise we'll issue an eviction notice.

I'm not sure how long he's lived under our deck, but we just recently noticed him. Our first introduction was on Rebecca's birthday -- it had pooped in one of my planters on the upper deck ... right on top of a sweet pea plant.

This picture was taken through the kitchen window. He's about 30+ feet from the house, just past the little line of trees that goes long the lower deck. I've tried to get closer, but every time I've gone so far as to unlatch the back door, he's shot back under the deck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd prefer that little guy to the pair of skunks we had under our porch in Kansas for a week or so. We got rid of them finally because Harold blocked their entry/exit for a few days. When he finally opened it, the skunks were dying to get out!

Amy said...

That is crazy! You are way nicer than I am. It does seem like it would be fun to observe him.

Sara Jensen said...

So funny! My boys would totally love it if we had anything exotic living on our property! (but then they would love to own a gold fish or anything alive):)