Thursday, February 18, 2010

Little Orphan Annie

Our last school music program was tonight. The fourth and fifth grade did their 'broadway' selection together and did an amazing job, as always. They did a very, very truncated version of Annie. From start to finish the entire show lasted 18 minutes. There were lots of speaking parts and solos to pass around to the kids. And lots of costumes for them to come up with ... among our favorites, President Roosevelt, the Rockets, Babe Ruth, Mobsters, King Kong, Lady Liberty. Most of the kids dressed up as orphans, newsboys, flappers, or hobos. Rebecca had a small singing part, as Molly, one of the kids in the orphanage, so we created an orphan costume, using these as inspiration. With some layering and a smock made with calico I had, I think she turned into a pretty good little orphan.

Wednesday night we tested the smock I made along with the piece from the closet we were layering together to see if the ensemble would pass as an orphan.

With some finishing and a little embellishment we had ourselves an orphan. Here she is with some of her good friends from class. The gal on the far left, had the part of Annie.
Rebecca singing her solo.

1 comment:

Sara Jensen said...

I love how this costume turned out!