Sunday, December 13, 2009

Whirlwind of a Weekend ...

Friday night was the Ward Christmas Party, we dressed in our jammies to enjoy a 'ride' on the Polar Express. The evening was really well planned out and everyone had a wonderful time.

This year did have some unique challenges which, from what I hear, caused quite a stir among some ward members. I've gotta say, it is quite interesting being on this side of the Bishop ... oh the things people say ... any hoo ...

Our activities chair moved in November, and the ward budget got killed earlier in the year, consequently there was no one to plan the Christmas dinner/party and zero budget, and I mean zero budget, to fund it. The Young Men organized the evening and made assignments for activities. The dinner was potluck (we used real plates and silverware from the kitchen), and thanks a handful of families who went above and beyond their single dish assignments we had an amazing meal, and no one went hungry!

The Young Women did the decorations - reusing decorations from previous years and adding toy trains to the center of some of the tables. The Young Men did the setting up and helped the Young Women with washing the dishes. Primary (with the help of the Activity Day girls) had cookies for children to decorate. The Relief Society provided face painting - hands down the largest success of the night!, and a small bell ornament for the children to make. The men took care of putting up all the tables and chairs and sweeping down the cultural hall floor.

Saturday started with the brunch - what a great year! We were small in numbers this year, maybe 50-60 women. Only a handful of my friends were able to make it out this year, but we had a great time chatting and talking about holiday plans. And my Mom came out again this year with my dad! That is always such a fun surprise to have them walk through the doors and share this day with us! I think Diane and I are slowly finding a better balance in how many savory appetizers to provide and how many sweets to prepare. It's hard cutting back on the sweets, because there are so many good recipes! But the ladies to have their favorites, and neither of us has time to make something that isn't going to get eaten, even if it is super yummy.

On the heels of the brunch was a very special little girls baptism, so as soon as Mom and I got things from the burnch cleaned up we raced off to the church to meet up with GR, my Dad and the kids, and give our special baptism girl, lots of hugs and birthday wishes. Then I practiced with the ward choir for the Christmas program, GR sent the kids home with my parents. And we swung by a local holiday sale where a friend was selling some of my burp cloths and pillowcases along with her Kansas beef, so I could pick up the leftover product.

We spent an hour or so cleaning up the main floor of the house, trying to get everything from the ward party, the brunch and the sale put away. Then my dad helped Sam write a talk for Primary Sunday morning, I pulled together my sharing time for Primary, and GR got the last little bit for his fireside Sunday night taken care of. GR and my Dad fed the kids dinner while, Mom and I went shopping for ornaments so we could attended the ornament exchange at Katrina's. More great food, belly laughs, and great ornaments! Then it was home again to finish up sharing time, mom made banana muffins for Alex's nursery snack, and we all hit the sack.

GR and I got woken up by Emily at 3am. Rebecca threw-up on the top bunk and poor Emily got splattered in the face with vomit. What a way to wake up! While the girls showered, GR and I spent 45 minutes getting their room cleaned up, carpets steam cleaned, and laundry started. Rebecca stayed home from church with my mom and Anna.

Sam gave a wonderful talk. I'm saving the "notes" he wrote to help him remember what he and Grandpa prepared. They are charming and sweet in his six year old script. My sharing time worked relatively well despite waking up with a drippy nose and seriously sore throat. I could barely sing the base line, so choir was out for the afternoon. GR's youth/parent fireside on pornography this evening (with all three wards) went well. It gave parents and youth lots to talk about. And it looks like the three bishops are considering having it be an annual thing.

I'm looking forward to a quiet week. This weekend while extremely fun, was a bit much. And considering my throat isn't getting better, and my nose has already gone through one double roll of toilet paper in 24 hours, I'm thinking it's a good thing I'm only responsible for sending cookie decorating supplies to the kids holiday parties Friday!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Wow, that was quite a Saturday and weekend! Glad you made it to the ornament exchange! (and your mom)