It's been a great learning experience for them, and teaching opportunity for me.
In the first week they made over 10 loaves of banana bread. The girls are learning as they go ...
- it is possible to make this recipe without using 7 bowls.
- a wire whisk works just as well and is faster than a sifter
- scrap all the ingredients into the main mixing bowl - don't leave anything behind
- when using all natural peanut butter, don't pour off the oil at the top of a new jar.
- cleaning up the kitchen is part of the cooking/baking process, you don't get to leave that part to someone else.
- it's best to clean up the kitchen while the bread is baking, so you can enjoy eating it when it comes out of the oven.
Monkey's Favorite Banana Bread
2/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 small egg, well beaten
1 mashed up banana
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
Remove butter and egg from refrigerator, 1 hour before using. Grease 4x2x1-1/2" loaf pan. Preheat oven to 325. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a square of waxed paper. Set aside. With wooden spoon, cream butter, gradually adding sugar. Add beaten egg and mix well. Mash banana with fork or potato masher. Blend well with peanut butter. Add dry ingredients alternately with mashed banana mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 35 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a fork in the center - if the fork comes out clean, it's done. Let cool in pan on cooling rack 10 minutes before turning out. Refrigerate batter for up to 4 days. Makes 3 - 4x2x1-1/2" loaves. Makes 2 - 5-3/4x3x2-1/8" loaves.
Double recipe to make a full size loaf.
This recipe creates a very nice, moist yet light bread. Very different than the dense banana breads I'm use too.
I want to try using Soybutter or Sunflower butter in place of the peanut butter so we can use it school and give loaves of it to our peanut allergy friends. Anyone experimented with it?
3 comments:
As one who has tasted the results, I can heartily approve.
Great idea. Love what they have learned!!! I could use some extra cooks around here!
Hi cuz! It's been a while since I've checked in with you. I think I can clearly claim the title world's worst blog checker now. Been hard at work to earn it. ;) Anyway- just wanted to stop by and say: Hi! I was thinking about you today. And I'm not believing that melt-down scenario for one second! :)
Post a Comment