Monday, May 25, 2009

Summer's Official Start

This week marks the official start of summer for my kids and they look forward to it every year! Memorial day brings the opening of the pool, a place the kids and I plan to spend a lot of time this summer. We spent the morning lazily getting ready for our afternoon at the pool and barbecuing with a few friends. The weather was just warm enough for an early afternoon dip in the pool. Thankfully, no one forgot how to swim over the winter, Alex is navigating the water beautifully in his arm floats, and we discovered Anna is a total water baby! What a nice change from terrified Alex!

Our friends arrived just as our kids were getting out of the pool and the temperatures were starting to cool. The kids played and played and played in Grandma and Grandpa's field. They took a short break to eat and then went back to playing ... the boys went one direction, the girls in another. The mom's talked and visited and bounced babies while the dad's visited and supervised the driving of cars, the throwing of balls and the flight of frizbees.

Sadly, I don't have a single picture of our blissful day. I'm learning that when I'm totally comfortable, relaxed and enjoying the company of good friends and family, the camera tends to get forgotten and pictures aren't taken. Hopefully, I won't regret that in the years to come. I'm hoping that, the experience, the people and being in the moment, not distracted by other "things" will be just as important too.

1 comment:

Vatti said...

Your description reminds me of all of the pleasant times in life for which there is no photographic (or any other kind of) record. Happens quite often for me.