Saturday, May 09, 2009

Charlotte's Web, Opera Style

All the kids soccer games were done by 10am, it was wonderful, because the older three and I had tickets for Charlotte's Web in Kansas City. Remember our Library visit back in March? Not knowing anything about the theater, other than very general directions, we packed a small activity bag with 2 chapter books for the girls, a few beginner books for Sam, along with a notebook and colored pencils. We were second in line and people watched until it was time to enter the theater. We got front row seats right in the center, although the theater seating was stadium seating, much like a movie theater, so I think the kids would have done well just about anywhere.

I sat next to a woman who's 10 year old daughter was one of the little sheep. It was fun to talk with her about the Lyrikids production, how they got involved and her daughters experience. What a fun experience for someone interested in singing and acting!

The show was fantastic! The set, costumes, performers, everything was very well done and held the kids attention the entire time. A couple of summers ago we listened to the book on CD as a bedtime story, and we have a copy of the book - which the girls haven't been willing to read yet - so while they are familiar with the general premise of the story, many of the details, specifically how the story ends had escaped their memory. Sam and Emily are my sensitive ones, and I realized after the performance started that I had completely forgotten to prep them for Charlotte's role in the story. Thankfully it all worked out. Sam courageously held back his tears and we talked a little bit about it at the end.

I think this was my first time doing something like this with just the three older kids, and I have to say as the Mama and parent in charge, it was such a different - enjoyable - experience. GR's most recent experience taking just the three older ones on an adventure was back in early January to see the Harlem Globe Trotters at the Sprint Center. And they had a great time! Before that it was a football game and then the airshow (granted the air show wasn't 100% enjoyable but currently the children only have happy memories of the experience.) The difference in their ability to sit and listen and enjoy compared to say the productions/concerts we took them too when the girls were about Sam's age, is huge!

I have to say it's so nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that eventually we will all be able to go places in public without me totally and competely loosing it.

No comments: