There have been many times over the last 12 years I've wished GR or I could call his dad and gain needed perspective on a situation and today was no different. In order to get good seats and to see all the different planes scheduled, they left the house at 8am. By 11:30 when I called to check in on them, Emily was asleep on the concrete, Rebecca was complaining about how hungry she was and Sam had asked 3-4 times to go home. When I asked GR if he had loved his first air show, of course his answer was "Yes!" ... when I mentioned this to Diane later in the afternoon, she laughed! Turns out the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. As a child, GR got just as hot and tired and bored and hungry as our kids did, but in the end, just like him, all three of them came home happy and all said they wanted to go again!
Saturday, August 23, 2008
KC Air Show
GR and his sister grew up going to lots and lots of airshows with his Dad ... GR loves them, Elspeth, despises them. So when we found out many of our friends were taking their kids to the KC Airshow today, GR jumped at opportunity to go! We decided Anna, Alex and I would stay behind and he would give the older kids the choice of staying, or going. He tried his best not to candy coat the outing, trying to give those most likely to whine the most accurate description of what the day would be like - long, hot, cool airplanes, long, hot, etc. His description did not discourage any of the older three from going, and quite honestly they were all really excited about it.

There have been many times over the last 12 years I've wished GR or I could call his dad and gain needed perspective on a situation and today was no different. In order to get good seats and to see all the different planes scheduled, they left the house at 8am. By 11:30 when I called to check in on them, Emily was asleep on the concrete, Rebecca was complaining about how hungry she was and Sam had asked 3-4 times to go home. When I asked GR if he had loved his first air show, of course his answer was "Yes!" ... when I mentioned this to Diane later in the afternoon, she laughed! Turns out the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. As a child, GR got just as hot and tired and bored and hungry as our kids did, but in the end, just like him, all three of them came home happy and all said they wanted to go again!

There have been many times over the last 12 years I've wished GR or I could call his dad and gain needed perspective on a situation and today was no different. In order to get good seats and to see all the different planes scheduled, they left the house at 8am. By 11:30 when I called to check in on them, Emily was asleep on the concrete, Rebecca was complaining about how hungry she was and Sam had asked 3-4 times to go home. When I asked GR if he had loved his first air show, of course his answer was "Yes!" ... when I mentioned this to Diane later in the afternoon, she laughed! Turns out the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. As a child, GR got just as hot and tired and bored and hungry as our kids did, but in the end, just like him, all three of them came home happy and all said they wanted to go again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
when we lived on base we went to a lot of airshows too, however now that you mention it. I do remember being bored a lot of the time, small bursts of excitement when the planes would show up...
Post a Comment