Monday, July 07, 2008

The Clock is Ticking ...

I'm terrible at announcements, you should know that by now ... I've thought about it many times ... contemplated exactly how to announce the upcoming birth of our fifth child ... nothing seemed right. Instead, I posted pictures like this, although that wasn't very helpful.



So here are the details.

We're having a baby - Thursday! My due date is July 20th, but as with the last two, I'm being induced 10 days early. My OB originally wasn't going to let me go that early due to new hospital insurance concerns about the babies lungs not being fully developed, etc. but he's going out of town the 11-20th, I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead of schedule, and the boys were good sized healthy babies following this exact same "birth plan."

At my doctors appointment earlier today, he said, the baby's in position and I've dilated to a 2+, which is all good news. If the baby weren't thinking about delivery at all, they wanted me to come in Wednesday night and I really, really didn't want to do that!

This pregnancy has been the most physically demanding of all, except maybe the beginning of Rebecca's pregnancy, being pregnant at 32 is so different than being pregnant in your 20s. And it's a little daunting to think about having F.I.V.E. children, five in this slightly cramped house. As I told a friend last week in an email, it would be one thing if I were a Jenn B., or a Kathy G., or a Shelley; but Wonder Mom, I am not. But we're exciting and I think with one more day of preparation, and a few more prayers for peace and reassurance, we/I'll be ready to bring this new little spirit into our family.

I seem to have a knack for having a baby in conjunction with some big family trip. In the past that hasn't stopped me from attending ... I took Sam, 10 days old, to a family reunion at Bear Lake, Alex was about the same age when we went to DC to visit with GR's sister. But this time, it wasn't in the cards.

At the end of this month, on July 27th, my grandparents would have celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary. Grandmother quietly passed away Memorial Day weekend. And thanks to an extremely supportive husband and mother-in-law, I was able to fly out and attend the funeral with my siblings and many of my cousins.

For the last year or more my father and his siblings have planned a 70th wedding anniversary celebration/family reunion in Nauvoo July 5-11. I had hoped to join them for at least the first few days, but my legs simply won't allow it. If I sit for more than an hour in the car (or on a plane), they swell to the size of elephants and it takes me days to get them back to normal. Add that to the fact that there is NOTHING remotely close to civilization between here and there, and I reluctantly stayed behind.

Saturday, GR drove the kids, along with my parents and Grandfather (who came in town to watch GR's fireworks display - more on that later, I hope) to Nauvoo. The kids are staying with my parents enjoying all the festivities and time with cousins, and will come home about the time we come home from the hospital. It's worked out nicely. GR came back late Sunday night, and I've been able to catch up on some rest, do a bit of fun sewing and crafting, and of course lots of cleaning and hopefully a little big of organizing too. The children are settling in. The weekend was a bit rough on them, there were lots of tears when they left without me, and then more tears when Papa left. Sunday and Monday I got numerous phone calls from them, just wanting to talk and hear my voice. Today the phone has been surprisingly quiet. Hopefully that's a good thing!

So be sure to check the blog Friday morning for baby news!

11 comments:

Heather said...

the constant phone calls can get a little irritating after awhile I bet, but at the same time- how sweet to know that they miss you so much. My kids usually call the first day and then I don't hear from them- except when I call because I miss them so much!

You'll be in my thoughts on thrusday!!! good luck!

Kim said...

Holy cow woman! You are bad at announcements! I know what you mean about pregnancy being different in your 30's than in your 20's. I was 25 when Emma was born, and now 31 when this baby will be born. Totally different ballgame.
Here's hoping for a smooth and easy delivery for you and the babe!

Deb said...

You're pregnant? :0)
I hope everything goes well and that you enjoy the quiet time this week.

Melonius said...

OK, I didn't catch it in the picture you have linked here, but in the few previous posts with photos with you it was pretty hard to miss.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Well I must say that I wondered quietly and then outloud with a fellow blogger the other day after the red shirt picture. We were sure you had to be in your second trimester--- but THURSDAY! Wow! I went on for most of a year about being pregnant, you are definately my pregnant hero for zero complaints or comments at all! WOW! You will definately be in my thoughts and prayers on Thursday and hope all goes well. For what it's worth, you have always rated right up with those other super women you mentioned. You will be wonderful. HUGS.

mmmandy! said...

I was wondering, after seeing the picture in that last post. But, my parents hadn't told me anything about it, so I wasn't sure. I'm a loser cousin. :( Well, congrats and good luck!! Boy or girl?

Oh- and you are most definitely a wonder mom in my book!

Jennifer said...

I thought maybe I was the only one not in the know when I saw the now infamous picture on your last blog :)

You are the best mom. You do stuff...amazing stuff with your kids.

All that changes at this point is laundry and how many bunkbeds you own :)

Camie said...

OH MY!! That's tomorrow!! I guess you can see that your blogging friends are very slow to pick up hints, and even slower to respond to major hints when they get them!! Congratulations to all of you! I'm happy for you that this difficult pregnancy is almost over. And you do have a trip coming up soon don't you?? Does this mean that I get to meet the little one in August? HOORAY! Also, you are right up there on my list of wonder mamas with Kathy, Jenn, Shelley and Renee. You will be wonderful. We will be praying for you through this time of adjustment and change. Can't wait to hear more news!

Kelly said...

Have a great night tonight alone with your husband! We wish you a happy, healthy labor tomorrow. We can't wait to see pics of the little one!

Kristy said...

I am clueless! But congratulations anyway. And you are a supermom, my friend, with all the crafts and cooking and outings and everything. So looking forward to the news on Friday!

Matthew said...

Thanks for the update, and good luck!