Sunday a sweet friend at church stopped me after the block of meetings and asked if I'd be interested in some eggs ... fresh eggs from her chickens! Living in Kansas, in and around farm country, I am constantly reminded that I am a city girl. So it is no surprise that I have never had fresh eggs straight from the chicken.
Pam has 35 chickens on her property and she brought dozens of extras with her to church to pass on to friends. She was incredibly generous and gave our family 18 beautiful petite eggs in shades of a lovely soft brown and beautiful soft green. I asked Pam if there were any specific ways to prepare the eggs to really experience their farm freshness in their fullness, and she suggested fried or in egg salad. Tonight I prepared all 18 using my favorite egg salad recipe, and it was scrumptious!
Egg Salad:
2/3 cup mayonnaise, divided
4 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 celery rib, diced
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon minced sweet onion
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Garnish: whole fresh chives
Stir together 1/3 cup mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients.Use remaining mayonnaise on your bread of choice ... toasted wheat bread, or croissants are excellent options. Spinach or fresh arugula are also a great addition to your sandwich.
* * * * *
Last week I got a craving for baked apples and decided at the last minute to throw together a German Apple Pancake for dessert. I couldn't find a recipe my Mom and I made years ago, so I once again when in search of a recipe online (one might ask why I own cookbooks, if google is my best cookbook ...) and found a very good substitute for the recipe I'm still looking for. And since my adaptation has 6 eggs in it, it goes perfectly with our theme for the evening :)
German Apple Pancake
6 eggs
3/4 cup unbleached flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup white sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large tart apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
In a large bowl blend, eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add vanilla, melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Let batter stand for 30 minutes or overnight (or in my case, while you finish up dinner and get the rest of the stuff ready).
Preheat oven to 425.
Melt butter in a large heavy oven proof skillet, brushing butter up the sides of the pan. In a small bowl, combine half the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle mixture over the butter and line the pan with apple slices. Sprinkle remaining sugar over the apples. Place pan over medium-high heat until the mixture bubbles, then gently pour the batter mixture over the apples.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and bake for 10 minutes. Slide pancake (lift, scoot, etc.) onto serving platter and cut into wedges. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
NOTE: If you have a smaller skillet - say 10 inches - than use this recipe.
3 comments:
I LOVE egg salad!! I'll have to try this one! Thanks!
those eggs look so pretty, i thought you'd dyed them before i read the post.
I just wanted to say that Jasmine was so happy to get your Valentine in the mail yesterday. Thank you! You are a great teacher!!!
Post a Comment