Despite the craziness it creates, I really enjoy hosting parties. I love the way my house feels with all the energy of people coming, socializing, having a good time and feeling right at home. And of course it's clean ... at least the main floor of the house, and that always feels great!
Saturday, I solo hosted my first baby shower (at least I think it's my first). Typically, I'm co-hosting at someone else's house or I'm a behind the scenes helper designing invitations, offering to make food or bring something, but not this time, and despite all the stress and sleep deprivation, it was so much fun!
Tiffany got some really cute baby girl clothes!! Oh my will this little girl be well dressed - so cute!! And we girls had a great time chatting!
The menu ... Brunch ... I'm all about food I can prepare a head of time, and this was the perfect menu for doing that. Chicken salad, cranberry applesauce jello, baked Brie, spinach dip with veggies and pumpernickel rye bread, cinnamon pecan coffee cake, sour cream pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream.
The games ... I had a few "pseudo" games to play, mainly for the prizes -- you gotta have prizes at a shower - but our attendance was a little sparse (8 came, 5 stayed, 1 came for the last 15 minutes) for playing. We did the address your thank you note envelope drawing, a The Price is Right matching game which proved too difficult (so everyone got a prize for getting one right), and then Present Bingo, which we never even did because of our small numbers.
The party favor ... This was so hard! I wanted something nice, consumable, and inexpensive. Last year I picked a copy of Martha Stewart's Holiday magazine and inside it showed lots of different gifts you could make and more importantly, it showed you how to package a simple homemade gift to look anything but homely.
My first thought was to make soaps, but that seemed too time consuming ... my second thought was to make bath fizzies ... they seemed easy enough to make, the ingredients all came from the grocery store, and they are defiantly consumable. Making 47 bath fizzies was a good learning experience, but next time I'm leaning towards Harry & David Truffle's.
4 comments:
Sounds like a great party.
hooray, kathleen! i'd say your first flight as baby shower hostess was a major success.
of course, now i need you to share all of your recipes.
way to go, kate. i bet the food was fantastic.
Looks wonderful! The menu sounds terrific. I agree with Michelle ... post those recipes!
Post a Comment