Last month my friend Michelle hosted a "Forever Pink Party" for three friends, all pregnant with their fourth child and fourth boy. Instead of the traditional baby gifts, we were instructed to bring a girlie, gift (~$5 each) for each mom. I spent hours and hours trying to think of just the right gift. I knew lots of lotions and bubble baths and chocolate, etc. would be given, and so I wanted to give something beautiful, but different. I had lots of ideas floating around, but settled on this one:
Composition notebooks I covered with scrapbook papers -- notice the stripe and dot theme? The inside front and back covers are also covered in coordinating papers that have pockets sewn in them for keepsakes. I LOVE this project and have made three more notebooks since ... one for myself, one for a dear friend birthday and one for ... humm ... I'm not sure. I've considered selling them on etsy as journals for recording the cute things your kids do and say as they grow ... but we'll see.
The day after I got back from Nevada, a friend came by the house with a large box of fabric. Someone she knew, knew someone who died and this box of fabric scraps was from her stash, and chalk full of vintage fabric from the 50s-70s with a few more contemporary prints. Some really ugly stuff got made during that time frame, but there's also really cool prints.
This box of vintage fabric has been the source of lots of inspiration.
Our Stake Women's Conference is coming up at the end of the month - April 28th and I spent all of Thursday last week creating the posters ... I wanted to use paper dolls as the graphic and found this image -->To save time - the thought of cutting all those pieces made me cringe - I scanned some favorite fabrics from the box, all in shades of purple and created this little number in Photoshop (if you click on the picture you should be able to see a larger version):

I found directions online for making the cover button pony holders. And put a few of the smaller scraps to use making large (1.5") covered button pony holders (pictured top). I also found a tutorial for making fabric yo-yo's. I put the covered button idea and the yo-yo's together to create these cute as a button flowers for the girls hair.
I made some to coordinate with the girls Easter dresses - a pink gingham yo-yo with white button for Emily and a white yo-yo with beige button for Becca hand sewed onto hair clips - oh so cute! I'm planning on making a few more with some bright vibrant fabric scraps for the girls summer outfits.
Next, I want to figure out how to make this. I know, I know, it's a little wild, and a little funky, but oh so cute!
6 comments:
I LOVE the note books!! They are so dang cute!!!
I joined the black/white swap (see link on my blog) and I have to come up with a black/white gift for someone I don't know. I want to make one of these notebooks. Can you email me directions when you have a few free minutes (or seconds as the case may be)
Love the HB hair bow too...should be easy to make. I bet you attach the "button" by actually sewing it onto the other fabrics and then gluing or using wire thread to a bobby pin or hair clip.
Great blog. You have been a busy girl! I think your creations are wonderful. I especially love the paperdoll graphic...One day I need to take a graphic art lesson from you - I'd pay you for that.
That flower thing you want to make looks neat too - you could even make them as gift tie-ons or for purses and other accessories, etc. Oh, and lucky you for the fabric inheritance - sounds neat. I also collect paper and have started collecting fabric too so I understand. Happy crafting.
Your projects make me tired to look at. Where do you find the time?! They are oh so cute and fun.
Kathleen--you are AMAZING! You have so much creative energy, and I LOVE to copy people like you! I love the composition book idea--and I think it would be a great thing to sell! Keep it up!
Merryn loves her hair clips! She wore one today and it even stayed in her fine, fine hair. Thank you for sending them.
Elspeth
Wow, Kathleen. Amazing. I love the Women's Conference graphic. Actually, I love it all! You are truly inspired.
Post a Comment