Friday, April 20, 2007

Activity Day Girls

One of our oldest Activity Day girls (pictured far right) got a new sewing machine for Christmas. She really wanted to learn how to use it and so I offered to teach the girls (age 8-11) to make my pillowcases (I would give you a link to the directions on Mormonchic.com, but our forums had too much traffic for the servers and consequently the entire site blew up yesterday and isn't back up yet ... , but that's for a totally different post!).

We started the project two weeks ago and last night 4 of the 7 girls who started the project, finished.

They did a fantastic job and I think they really learned a lot about how the sewing machine works and how to control the speed of the machine and their fabric in order to keep everything straight. Here are the girls with their finished cases - they were so excited to have them 100% finished!



I witnessed a modern day miracle
in all of this. We started this project the evening of April 4th. The regular AD leader was out of town, but had sent the girls home a few weeks earlier with a list of the supplies they would need. One of the girls who came the first night hadn't been to an activity in a while, and didn't know we would be making pillowcases, so she didn't have any of the supplies - making both of us feel really, really dumb...

Earlier that day as I was leaving Walmart, I saw my friend Korianne and her girls in the parking lot. We said quick hello's and as we parted ways, I said, "See you tonight!"

Puzzled, Korianne turned to her girls as they walked into Walmart and asked, "Why is Sister K8 going to see us tonight?"
Girls: "Tonight's Activity Days ...
Korianne: "Are you making your pillow slips tonight? .... Don't you need fabric for that?

So the girls picked out fabric at Walmart. Since they didn't know exactly how much to purchase, they got 3 yards of the main fabric (pink with frogs) and 1 yard of the cuff fabric (purple with smaller frogs).

The miracle, Korianne bought exactly what you need to make three pillowcases. Once she realized she had enough to make one more pillowcase, she offered the fabric to Ashley, who was happy to make a pillowcase using that fabric. Turns out her pajama's are pink with frogs on them. Thank you Heavenly Father for watching out for little Ashley!

4 comments:

Mutti said...

Those are SO cute! Congrats to everyone!

Alyson said...

Cute! Glad everything worked out! My girls would have loved to have been there!

Now tell us what happened at mormonchic.com!

Lori said...

I'm sure the girls will enjoy their pillow cases. I'm glad that there was fabric for Ashley!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Absolutely adorable! I think this would be a fun project for Julia... so do link us when you can!