Thursday, January 25, 2007

Our Bowling Natural

Saturday, 20 January 2006

One of Emily's classmates invited her to his bowling birthday party this afternoon and I got to take her. The bowling alley is clear across town, the party was only for 90 minutes (just enough time to bowl, eat cake and open presents), and with the snow that had started to steadily fall, I decided going home during the party was a waist of time.

I'm so glad I stayed to watch. Emily had a great time and with a little coaching along the way, she did fantastically! she got a strike her first frame! A few frames later she got a second strike followed by a spare! Needless to say I bursting with pride and very disappointed I didn't have my camera with me.

Her team didn't get to finish all 10 frames - they only bowled 7 - but with only 7 frames, her score was a 79 and her team was well on their way to beating the other two teams from the party. With her two strikes and the spare, had she finished all 10 frames, she'd have had the highest score.

I'm not a big bowler ... I went a few times in high school and I must admit the thought of taking young kids to that kind environment NEVER crossed my mind. Plus, I couldn't see how a 6, 5 & 3 year olds could bowl and enjoy it. We'll I've now learned that today's bowling alleys aren't quite as gross as the ones I was in 15 years ago (the no smoking ban makes a huge difference!!) and that little kids can bowl and enjoy it. There were a few other Mom's with younger kids who were bowling. I guess it's all a matter of finding the right weight ball ... and gutter guards!

Emily got a coupon to go back and I'm thinking that will make a fantastic FHE activity or Saturday afternoon family outing - we never get enough of those!

1 comment:

Vatti said...

Yes, I think bowling has changed a bit since I remembered it also.

Last summer we had a bowling activity at work--one of those "team building" things. The bowling alley had a number of variations on traditional bowling that they had us do--roll the ball backwards through your legs, roll the ball forward through someone else's legs, push the ball with your foot, etc. It challenged even the most experienced bowlers and leveled the playing field a little.