Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's this suppose to mean?

Over the last two months I've been reminded what a 'people magnet' newborns are. Random people, who would have never said boo to you, now stop and have in-depth conversations with you - typically about babies and their children. The first question out of most peoples mouths (and if it isn't the first, it quickly follows... how old his he?) - Is this your first?

Monday while Alex and I were at the grocery store in my little 90 minute window between drop offs and pick-ups, I was asked this question by a middle aged man with a four year old in his cart. I smiled and said, "No, it's my fourth."

Typical responses when give this answer... "God Bless You" ... "Wow" ... "You've got your hands full" ... "You're brave" ... etc.

His response ... silence.

2 comments:

Heather said...

he was shocked by your youthful look and figured you must have started at 16.

go with it...it works!

Matthew said...

I think that sounds reasonable...