Wednesday, September 27, 2006

This one's for you Topher

I am so behind on so many deadlines it isn’t even funny anymore, and this is no different… It has been brought to my attention that I neglected to do a “happy birthday” posting for GR who’s birthday was September 23rd ...

September 23rd - had WAY to much happening on it. The two big things in addition to it being GR’s birthday:

We bought a cow… GR and Joe went north and picked up a cow from a local meat market - and we now have half a cow in both of our freezer in various forms (ground beef, patties, stakes, ribs, etc. ... we gave Joe the tongue).

I was gone half the day for the Stake Home Family and Personal Enrichment meeting and General Relief Society Broadcast that we (Stormy, Carol and I – Renee was out of town) were in charge of.

Thankfully, Diane had GR and the kids over for dinner, so he did get a birthday celebration on his birthday. Bob spent all day working on two racks of ribs and I’ve heard they were excellent. Rebecca ate 3, Emily ate 2 and Sam ate 7!! His mom gave him a Lego Mindstorms Robot – they are pretty cool if you haven’t seen them before.

The weekend before GR’s birthday we went to StL to let the kids play with Stella and Danielle again while Mary Ann and Matthew were still in town with my parents. Mom suggested we celebrated GR's birthday while we were all together and given our schedule on the 23rd, that worked out really well.

Saturday morning we went to Purina Farms and saw everything – they had a farm animal petting zoo where the kids got to pet baby pigs, chickens and rabbits and they got to milk a cow; they put on a mini dog show with five different dogs with their own tricks and each of the kids got to help in the dog show. If you’re ever in the area, I would highly recommend visiting – it’s free and definitely a kid and parent friendly place. We'd like to go back to see a dog show sometime - humm.... October 16-22 is the Border Collie National Specialty .


That night we celebrated GR’s birthday properly with two magnificent chocolate layer cakes from Party Pastry and lots of presents. He got candy to put in his suit pockets for kids at church; two ‘bathroom’ books – ‘Wisdom of our Fathers’ by Tim Russert and as‘It’s not ey being green and other things to consider’ by Jim Hensen; a conservative yet contemporary red tie; socks (yes, he got sock for his birthday… when I asked him what he wanted/needed, after a very, very long pause, he replied, “Well, I could use some socks.”); a very large 15” cast iron skillet to go along with his Dutch oven for camping; a ‘family’ size electric grittle for pancakes.

6 comments:

Topher said...

After I posted, I started feeling bad knowing it may not have been my place to post what I did. Hopefully you saw it as me helping out, not stealing your thunder.

suz said...

happy birthday, gr! i shouldve taken some of that leftover cake when i was there last sunday- it looks yummy.

Michelle said...

happy belated b-day, gr!

Heather said...

Happy belated Birthday GR. My father asks for sockes every year for just about every gift giving occasion.

Heather said...

I really did mean SOCKS, without the E.

Kate said...

Absolutly not! No thunder stolen at all, plus, I got a great laugh out of it... and eight years later, we still have a bucket of silverware.