Saturday, August 05, 2006

Natural Glow

Thursday 3 August 2006

We've had a busy week with lots of trips to the doctor’s office.


Tuesday, I took Alex in for a weight check. He left the hospital weighing 8lb. 2oz., and today he weighed 8lb. 4oz. He also got his heel pricked for a bilirubin test, since he's pretty yellow and obviously jaundice. His count came back pretty high (15.2) so the doctor told us to alternate his feedings - breast milk and formula - and they wanted to see him again Wednesday to check his levels again.

GR's been taking the 1-2am formula feeding, which just might be killing him, but I'm loving it (even though I have to get up and pump anyway)! The girls have both enjoyed the chance to taken turns feeding Alex; they think it's so neat to feed Alex!

Wednesday, Alex and I went back to the doctor and again he got his little heel pricked - 15.4 this time. So we continued the feeding routine. They also decided to go ahead and do his 1 week check up at the same time, since I was already there. He checked out perfectly! And was also back up to his birth weight - 8lb. 7oz.

Since his bilirubin levels were still high Wednesday, they wanted to see him again this morning, and since Emily and Sam both already had appointments (Emily, 5-yr check up and Sam, Hep A shot) so we all headed to the doctors office. Grandma Mutti and I had to bribe Rebecca to willingly come along with the promise of a trip to the McDonald's Playland near the hospital - thankfully that worked and morning went smoothly.

The nurse just called and Alex's results came back lower (13.3) which is good - so we can go back to a normal 100% mom feeding schedule, his heel is saved from being pricked and squeezed AND we can stay home tomorrow!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

so glad to hear he's doing better! tyler had the same problem...i'm so glad you don't have to go back to the ped's for a while!

Deb said...

That is the one thing I had a hard time with is all the doctor visits. I of course want them to be healthy but it sure is hard to take them to the doctor's so often, especially if they have to get the heel stick. I am glad he is getting better.

Lori said...

Yay! You beat the bili! Ava's levels peaked at 19.1, then 19.2 (20.0 is the "magic" number when they start the light therapy), then back to 19.1 and then continued to go down.

I'm sure you're happy you don't have to do the light treatments!
AND no more heel pricks for a while either.

Camie said...

Yay Alex!! He's doing great! I think it's because he has a family all taking care of him. Keep those pictures coming! How are you holding up with the lack of sleep??

Kelly said...

Oh, his poor little feet!! I HATE it when they have to do that to the babies. I know it's the easiest way to do bili counts, but I struggle with people wanting to "hurt" my newborn.