Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Library Tradition

Tuesday, 6 June 2006

Yes it's true, today was the first time I took my children inside our local public library. This coming from the woman who's mother took her and her siblings to the public library DAILY from the time she could walk to the time I entered school, and once I got in school we still went to the library as frequently (if not more so) than church.

We have a really good public library that puts on amazing story times and other activities for children and young adults of all ages. Today happened to be story time when we arrived, so the kids wiggled their way into spots on the carpet and listened to a handful of books and then got to make a sun visor. We spent nearly 3 hours at the library listening to the stories, making the craft and then playing on the computers.

Sam and I picked out some books for us to read for the summer reading program - some Rebecca can read herself, a couple classics from my childhood, and a few new ones.

During story hour, I discovered I was standing in front of a good size and diverse selection of young adult literature on CD. I decided to give this medium a try for our bedtime stories. For our first book on CD, I choose Charlotte's Webb. I went for something a little safe and somewhat familiar ... Rebecca's going through a phase of being leery of unfamiliar media - movies specifically, and I guess for her books on tape/CD are in the same category. And although I'm still getting a bit of resistance from her, she's listening to the story, and hopefully enjoying it. Emily and Sam seem to really be enjoying the story as well.

I'm really looking forward to making this apart of our weekly summer routine.



After our visit to the library, at the request of the children, we went to lunch a Wheatfield’s, a restaurant they love to go to for breakfast. I should have just gotten everyone a cinnamon roll or cookie and gone home to make PBJs, but they really wanted to eat lunch there and after looking at the menu, I thought I found something safe ... a turkey and Swiss sandwich on country French bread with apple slices. I purchased two sandwiches for the four of us to split and got everyone their drink of choice. We ate at the stools facing in the big picture window and 20 minutes later, I wrapped up three sandwiches in various stages of being dissected, and off we went.

Note to self... next time, forget that it's technically lunchtime, and the kids should eat something nutritional, and order the cinnamon rolls.

6 comments:

Matthew said...

I'm a great fan of libraries. I had no idea that they were such a large part of your childhood experience...

Michelle said...

I can't believe that was your first time there! Glad you discovered storytime - isn't it so fun? I'll join you there this summer...and by the way, I agree with you on the Wheatfield's lunch experience for kids...I think the bread is too crusty for them to chew!

Kate said...

I've been to the library before... they have a great cookbook section!... but the couple of times we've tried for the story time, the parking lot has been so cramed, we circled for 10 minutes and left. This time we got really lucky, and got right in!

Crusty bread was one of Emily's complaints, and I changed the bread from a bagette to the country french in an effort to prevent that... but it was grilled (didn't realize that) and that always makes it harder to bite and chew.

suz said...

matthew, we would go to the library all the time during the summer. they had a reading program that gave you prizes for finishing a certain number of books, and we wanted to get as many prizes as possible. they also had these cool retro orange plastic kiddie chairs to sit in- i bet that ikea makes something similar. when i got older i ended up reading all of the books on ufo's and alien abduction.

wow, this really makes me want to get a library card for my branch...

Topher said...

K8,
I can't believe what I read. The good thing is that the kids had fun and now will bug you to go all the time. I definately understand the parking thing, though. Lawrence's library really does suck when it comes to parking. We used to park two blocks to the West, then walk to the library and then let the kids play on the train at the park on the way back. Plus you don't have to pay if you park in the neighborhood. The owners of Wheatfield used to be customers of mine at the bank; does he still wear a Ziggy Marley-colored yarn hat? They're super nice; moved to Lawrence years ago from Colorado, if I remember.

Elspeth said...

I feel equally inadequate that Merryn has not yet been to the library. I have a card, and we drive by the nearest branch two or three times a week. Someday. It looks like the kids had a really good time.