Tomorrow is the last day of preschool and it's taken me forever to think of a nice, simple gift to give all of Emily's teachers. They have truely been wonderful women who I she and I have come to love and cherrish!
Back in 2004, Better Homes and Garden put out a magazine called "Creative Kids," filled with a lot of really cute things kids to could make or that you could make for kids (parties, summer fun, etc.). One of their projects for Mother's Day was to make a Helping Hand kitchen towel using a flour sack cloth. Using acrylic craft paints, I sent to work making one for each Grandma and my Grandmother. What resulted was a really cute little gift that documented the kids hand prints, and have amazingly held up quite nicely in the wash.
Since that project, I've modified it a few times... I really love Rudolf... Emily's foot is his face, Sam's hands made the antlers, and Rebecca and Emily's handprints made the Christmas Trees. Their finger prints did the decorations on the trees.
The latter two are what I've made for the preschool teachers... her classroom teachers will get one of each, the director and the art/music teachers will get the stars (I ended up with a pounding headache tonight that refused to go away, so after 5 star towels, I called it quits and headed to bed.) I'm also including a small jar of last summers wild blackberry jam - yum!
7 comments:
That's a lot of towels. I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that kind of thing yet, but it's right around the corner...
you're so good at being crafty, kathleen...most of the time when i try to do stuff like that, it looks like a 3 year old did it.
Me and my gift card are feeling quite inadequate now. ;-)
Hi Kathleen! I found your blog thanks to Camie's link. I definitely admire your creative talent. Keep up the good work.
I still have my Mother's Day 04 tea towel. I have it hanging in the girl's bedroom. Stella calls it her "handprints". Love it.
really neat idea! Do you buy the towles and then decorate them, or do you sew the towel first? If you buy them, where do you get plain white tea towels, I so want to try this!
Kristy - I want to graduate to gift cards! Something tells me a techer might find that more "fun." The preschool teachers sure enjoyed the box of chocolates one child brought!
Heather - WalMart sells a pack of 5 floor sack cloths in their dish towel isle for $5. You can also usually find them at the grocery store too. I think there they sell them one at a time.
Post a Comment