Yesterday's intense wind storm hit our area about 8 am and lasted 20 minutes or so. The kids and I spent that time in the basement with the one news channel able to broadcast going, eating our breakfast of sweet rolls. (I had many requests for cartoons instead ... but JoJo's Circus doesn't tell me anything about the weather! :)
At 8:30 everything had calmed down, and neighbors were outside collecting shingles, and retrieving other yard supplies from neighboring yards. Our trash cans were pined up against the neighbors house, and Sam's basketball hoop was in the middle of the driveway. Since everything was calm and I hadn't heard of additional storms coming, I loaded everyone in the car to head to church, when GR called to say "stay put." The church building didn't have power and another storm was coming from
Most of the damage in our neighborhood is missing shingles. One neighbor's (Steve and Kathy) window broke because of flying debris (double pane window, outside pane broke), and a few sections of fencing either were knocked loose, or fell down. And outside play equipment - swing sets and trampolines, aren't where they use to be. Amazingly ours stayed put! I'm amazed none of our windows broke, because the wind coming through this part of town was more intense than I've ever experienced.
GR's Mom had her driver side window knocked out by flying debris on her way to church - amazingly she's okay - no cuts of any kind, and whatever broke the window didn't hit her.
The kids are fine. They were out with GR watching them temporarily repair our roof and the neighbor’s roof. Rebecca really thought we should go around the neighborhood and fix everyone’s roof. GR felt two trips up the ladder were enough for him and Jeremy.
Here are pictures of the shingles I collected just from our yard, an example of the neighborhood roof damage, and GR and our home teacher on our neighbor’s roof tacking down some loose shingles:
Monday, March 13, 2006
We're safe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
good to know that everything is ok! a lot of people in columbia have damaged cars because of all the hail that came through. flying into st louis sunday night was no picnic- we were right above all those storms. it was probably the most turbulant flight i've been on.
Suz, where were you coming from? / Where did you go?
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.
Yikes! We heard all about it from jack (aaron's dad), he even got interviewed on Fox News about the storms. Glad all are well, and that the kis remained calm and happy in the basement!
Post a Comment