Once we got fingers and faces cleaned up from the yummy donuts, we climbed into the car to see a train they have had downtown for years. Sam love trains, and I thought he'd enjoy seeing a large, full size locamotive. We parked near the post office and walked around alittle bit. I forget how much my children enjoy just walking around downtown ... seeing the people, looking in the window shops, playing in all the little nooks and crannies that come with old towntown store fronts.
After visiting the train, we picked up some lunch and headed Grandma's to pick blackberries and go swimming. The bushes were loaded and in a mere 30 minutes, we picked a huge bowl of berries - enough to make a second batch of jam! Covered in scratches, bug spray, sweat and dirt, it was time to go swimming.
Sam loves the water, and he loves to go down the slide. His second or third time up the ladder to go down the slide, he lost his footing and slipped. As you can see from the picture, he did a pretty good number on his lip. I was really proud of him, it took him a while to calm down and get cleaned up, and when I asked him if he wanted to take off his swimming suit and stay inside he said no. So we whent out side and sat on the deck and watched the girls for a few minutes until he was ready to get in the water again. He kept putting his lower lip up over his upper lip trying to get everything to go back to the right size... that's gonna take a few days.
We're going to actually celebrate Sam's birthday tomorrow - cake, ice cream, presents, ect. GR's been in CA all week doing some consulting work and thanks to a late flight leaving San Diego, missed his connecting flight from Denver to KC last night and didn't get in until lunch time today. Things at the hospital here were upsidedown, so he had to go straight from the airport to the hospital and put out fires.
Eventhough we aren't celebrating it today, it's still his birthday, I wanted to have a special dinner and dessert just for Sam. When we left Grandma's 4pm, I asked Sam what he'd like for dinner, nachos or chicken, and he picked nachos. I should have realized that the salt on the chips would be sheer agony on his lip.. but I didn't. The first chip was eatten successfully, but the rest simply caused tears and screaming. So while the rest of us ate nachos, Sam ate the nacho meat sauce and a container of yogurt - poor kid! But I did make it up to him with dessert. I made jello parfaits - our new favorite treat - and the kids love them! Sam ate every bit of his before getting sent to the bathtub - what a mess!
Tomrorow the plan is to drive to Leavenworth to visit a Carosel museum - another Sam favorite - horses! - have some lunch and then come back here for cake, ice cream and presents.
No comments:
Post a Comment