Wednesday, June 22, 2005

They are HERE!

Back in April, GR and I started calling painters to get bids on having our house painted. The choice of who to go with was 100% determined by price – mixed with my feelings on their level of competency.

A week and a half ago, the painter’s wagon/trailer appeared outside my front door. When I last talked with the painter he said they would more than likely start the latter part of the second week in June. Well that’s when the trailer showed up. Then last week on Thursday (a week later), a truck and a group of men parked in the driveway for about 30 minutes, unloaded ladders and left without a word.

Monday morning at 8 am they arrived and got to work washing the house and making the needed repairs. In the process they found termites, behind a piece of trim board under Sam’s far left window… YUCK!! I called the pest control place I’ve used before and they came out Tuesday. Thankfully, there is no evidence of termite infestation anywhere else on or around the house. So they will treat that spot with a concentrated chemical, and then they will treat the entire house for the bargain price of $850. The treatment will last for 10 years, and for $75 each year, he’ll come out and inspect it to insure the critters are getting zapped.

For nearly a month, I’ve had a book of Benjamin Moore paint chips to look through. The painter and his crew just finished up a house over in the general direction of the old town house that he said looked really nice and suggested that house color. GR was hoping for a darker color and so I asked Gerry to test a darker color … GR wasn’t real happy with me when I told him I went with Adirondack Green, and not the color we tested on the house (it was one shade darker than Adirondack Green).

So by sometime next week, our house will no longer be grey with cream trim, it will be Adirondack Green, whitish trim and plum… Bottle of Bordeaux … doors.

3 comments:

suz said...

well, i'm sure the green will look just lovely. post pictures when it's all done.

Matthew said...

I am deeply offended that you chose "Bottle of Bordeaux" for your door. What about avoiding the appearance of evil!? This is totally going to undermine the word of wisdom in your home. I'm amazed your visiting teachers haven't said something yet. All this from the editrix of a certain website?

I do believe the sky is falling.

Kate said...

Don't you just love the sound of 'Bottle of Bordeaux'?! It is such a perfect description... it's about the color of really sweet, dark red grapes. A plum color that has a good amount of red in it while still being purple. I just hope it looks as good up as the paint chip does next to the house!

Matthew - :), you and GR, two peas in a pod... so you don't think writing the name of the color next to the door bell would be a good idea?