Monday, March 28, 2005

Jesus and marshmallows

Today in preschool the girls made "Resurrection Rolls," known to our family as Magic marshmallow Puffs (a long standing Christmas Brunch menu item).


Here's the symbolism behind the Resurrection Roll:

Crescent roll dough -- Linen cloth
Large marshmallows -- Jesus' body
Butter (melted) -- oil
Sugar and cinnamon -- spices

The idea is you roll the marshmallow in melted butter, then in the cinnamon sugar mixture, wrap it in a crescent roll (making sure it's 100% sealed) and bake it (in a 350F "tomb" until brown). When you open the tomb to remove the body, you will find that only the clothes are left, the body has disappeared - Jesus has risen!


Emily was so funny when she told me about this. She explained the whole process, not mentioning any of the symbolism until the very end, when she said, "The marshmallow was gone! Jesus was the marshmallow."

The girls have done a very good job of learning about Jesus and the Resurrection. We didn't do Easter baskets this year. I've kind of done them in the past... nothing elaborate - a basket with some candy and small toys/trinkets. This year we decided three Easter Egg Hunts was plenty. Emily said her teachers had asked everyone what the Easter Bunny had left them... I was a little worried Emily's feelings were hurt, when she realized the Easter Bunny hadn't left anything for her, but I was wrong. I asked her what she said, and she proceeded to list a number of things the Easter Bunny had brought her at the different Easter Egg Hunts we'd gone to. Once again, she amazes me!

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Back when I was a little kid, my mother decided we weren't going to have Easter celebrations any more, we were going to have Spring Day. Actual Easter stuff would all be Christ relevant, and the candy/egg stuff would be seperate. It worked out relatively well for us as little Perkinsians. MA and I haven't decided what we will do with our family yet....